Friday, October 24, 2008

The Least of These

As the Season of Giving approaches, it's easy to consider all those who are less fortunate. It is my personal desire to incorporate a year long season of giving, into my life; to think of others always, before myself. And not just this coming year, but for the rest of my life.

As a single woman, it can be a bit intimidating to consider how to help because the environments in which the poor and homeless reside are not always the safest. I'd like to offer a few ideas that I have been prompted to in the past few months.

There is a local market downtown (Portland Saturday Market) that is in the neighborhood of the homeless. Because there are so many people, it is a safe place to be, if alone, to do 'something'. A few weeks ago I felt compelled to go and take pictures. I have a zoom lens so was able to capture the life without intruding into their space. What I have done with these photos is post them to my photo blog and have drawn attention to a ministry that actively assists with helping them, called Bowls of Grace. I plan to create a book for them with my pictures to assist them with their ministry outreach efforts. While I was there, I had the opportunity to chat with a couple of individuals who live the life. They approached me, so I feel like they were God led. They were who I was to go downtown to see. And they asked me to pray for them, which was an amazing privilege to do. I learned during this trip that when He asks us to go...that if we just go, He will guide us and protect us and give us the resources that we need to accomplish His purpose.

I have felt a pressing to minimize and simplify the abundance of 'stuff' in my house. Stuff is just stuff. Why do I have so much stuff? I don't need it all. So I will donate my 'stuff' to the local GoodWill in order to allow them to help others who are in need. We don't always have to be on the front line to still make a difference.

I will be donating all my extra clothes to the women's shelter.

I currently work for an organization that makes shoes. Sometimes freebies are available for the taking. I've recently collected some shoes and t-shirts that I intend to bring to those in need. Any opportunity that I see/find that is giving away freebies, I first consider the needs of those who are without.

I have a collection of coats I've collected over the years and I plan to take them downtown sometime soon to pass out to whomever God leads me to.

For Thanksgiving, a friend of mine always receives a turkey for free from work. We intend to cook it up and make turkey sandwiches out of it, and provide a good turkey sandwich to those who live downtown.

I've had the opportunity to be a part of a Bowls of Grace outreach downtown and its amazing the stereotypes we create in our mind about who really lives on the streets. On one occassion we served over 200 homeless and I was surprised to know that there were only a very very small handful that were visibly drunk or on drugs (because that is what I have thought of them). The individuals I was able to speak to were genuinely humble folks who hit a rough spot and were in transition. Some are very ashamed, but are working on finding their way 'home'. My heart broke for them.

Taking a giant leap of faith to step into the world of the oppressed is a life changing experience to say the least. It truly puts into perspective the abundance that we are surrounded with.

I'm in the process of finding a new job and the job that I anticipate obtaining will provide me a great deal more of a salary than I am currently receiving. It would be very easy for me to think first about myself and about what I'm going to do with my new found 'wealth' (vacations are usually the first thing in my mind). But all I 'need' is enough to keep the roof over our head, clothes on our back, and food in our bellies. The rest of the 'stuff' is just 'stuff'. In contemplating my journey to the heavenlies (which could happen at any moment), I've thought long and hard about the legacy I will leave. Will it be found in the 'stuff' that is collecting dust in my garage? Probably not. Will it be found in the coat that I give to somebody who is cold? Or the warm sandwich to the growling stomach that hasn't had a meal in a while? I am rich beyond measure to have a roof, food and clothes. The essentials we so take for granted are not a privilege for a great deal of Americans. Here...the land of the FREE...is so incredibly oppressed beneath the obsession with self. How many financially rich people are happy because of their wealth? Probably not many. But richness and fullness is realized when handing someone something that seems so trivial to me. What about a warm hug and a smile on a cold day? Because beneath the dirty clothes and exterior is a heart that deserves some warmth and love, too.

Matthew 29:40
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your gifts in photography will be a blessing to the ministry and ultimately to those to whom they minister. I applaud your decision to simplify your life and at the same time help those who are less fortunate.

Anonymous said...

Inspirational, to say the least. I have my list of things to do and donate, from food, clothes and my art to auctions and holiday fairs. Feels good to do good.