Monday, October 13, 2008

Kinda Quiet 'Round Here...

Ya, so I haven't had a great deal of Inspiration these days. This doesn't mean I haven't had truck loads of 'stuff' passing through my brain. It just means the truckloads are not taking on any kind of form. Even a tornado has a cylindrical form...Hurricanes. Perhaps what has happened is an earthquake. :) Lots of ruckus, but a form cannot materialize until some time passes clearing up the rubble.

What HAS been happening?

Well...I'll start with the stuff I don't have a great deal of control over...Economic 'stuff'. We're all in it. I try hard not to consider how devastating things CAN or COULD get; try to focus more on God's provision in spite of it all. I realized yesterday that gas prices have dropped a whole dollar in the last couple months, but it is still a wreck to drive through the pump. For some reason my gas mileage has decreased significantly, so just because gas prices have gone down...they haven't really, if I have to fill up more frequently. I purchased cooking oil for the first time in a long time this weekend...It took me a minute to pick my jaw up off the floor...almost $5 for a small jug...of the GENERIC STUFF!?!?!?! I remember paying less than a dollar...or a little over a dollar for a BIG jug...what seemed like not so long ago. Hello! What are they putting in it? GOLD?! Okay...end gripe. [UPDATE: I visited a different grocery store...and oil was around $1.50. I took a giant sigh of relief. The other store clearly benefits from robbing their customers. Won't be visiting there again.]

Anyways...things are feeling a little dismal. I hear almost daily now of someone losing their home and families are starting to stack up on each other. I am mentally preparing myself for the same possibility in my household; that my Mom and Gramma might sooner than later take up residence in my spare room. This wouldn't be such a bad thing...I could use the company sometimes. However, losing your 'space' is hard to get used to; hard to consider getting used to. But...all things happening for a reason, I ponder how this economy could be forcing us to look at our families and depending on one another, like they did in the 'olden days'. Back when I feel like people were a whole lot less selfish and a whole lot more selfless. When God was more of the center and not our own self. Hm.

Even considering the loss of our 'convenient' lifestyles, which is essentially what we at this point are mourning, is convenience...we in this country are so RICH. My garage is full of 'stuff'. Why do I have all this 'stuff'? Because I can, I suppose. What would it look like if every penny we earned went to only our basic and essential needs...food. Clothing. Not designer clothing or pretty clothing, but clothing for comfort and warmth. Perhaps I/we could learn to appreciate our abundance. I'm a single woman with a small child who owns a home. I have no equity in it right now because of this economic ditch we've fallen into, but I OWN a roof. How rich am I?

I've decided to simplify myself over the next few weeks and start donating clothes and 'stuff' to those who are less fortunate. I've love to find someone specifically to bless with it, but I don't know anybody personally who could benefit. Fortunately there are organizations that help with finding these individuals, though. My clothes will all go to a woman's shelter. Other household items will go to Goodwill.

It's interesting how difficult it is to make a decision to downsize. Like there's some emotional attachment to 'stuff'. I admit...it is difficult for me to get rid of certain things. But if its been in my garage for a while and I haven't thought about it or looked at it or used it... then what is the point of it collecting dust? And truly, on a grander scale...if I was taken from this earth today, what agony my friends and family would have to endure sorting through this 'stuff' and having to find something to do with it. What is more important? Blessings to others will last well beyond this life. Material 'stuff' is but dust...that will choke you if you get too close to it...

So today, I'm going to start cleaning house. Clearing the clutter. Freeing my spirit and conscience to focus on more important things. Finding gratitude in all the things I have collected over the years, but finding also freedom in letting it go.

No comments: