Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Purpose

This weekend was so hugely pregnant with amazing'ness. Have you ever seen a woman's tum who has multiples in there? Yeah...that was this weekend. I can't count how many baby ideas/concepts/miracles were there...countless (ow...my tummy hurts thinking about the stretching!)...but with the birth of these new ideas, there are no labor pains. Easy, effortless delivery...one right after another. I will be swooning in the aftermath for months, I'm sure.

I was reading through my blog posts here, and I feel this desperate sense of wanting for a purpose. I 'know' in my heart that my purpose is to live a life that is glorifying to God and to be obedient to the will He would have for me. While I know this, there's always been a bit of a disconnect. I've often sought after the structure that would bridge the gap between what I know and what I feel is true. Feelings are not always valid, but they dictate what we believe to be true. At least for me.

This weekend, I heard it over and over and over again from my peers...I feel maybe God is calling me to do this; maybe God brought me through that in order to serve here; I sense a calling to there... Everyone wants to have and know their purpose. My own eyes have been opened hugely to a new perspective on the matter. I started to really HEAR what I was saying...the way I was approaching every circumstance in my life. Without even realizing it, I was trying to 'control' the outcome of certain thoughts...as if to ensure my 'purpose' was met. If I 'feel' a certain way, then it must be true...so I should continue to press on those 'feelings' to validate that this thing was, in fact, my purpose...at least for this moment in time.

We can make anything happen in our lives by the power of our thinking. I don't mean this in the new age sense that 'we are in control of our own destiny'... I mean...without the proper God perspective, we continue to try to drive this life of ours by our thoughts. I was AMAZED at the freedom I found this weekend. My mind was FINALLY placed into the right God perspective and I feel so fortunate to have 'found' this truth! How many Christians live their entire life without this perspective and fight feverishly to 'measure up' to some cosmic standard they think they have to follow in order to secure their 'purpose'?

This truth all points to 'abiding in Him'. Right now. My purpose for His Kingdom is right now. Living IN HIM. I do not need to know my purpose for tomorrow, until tomorrow comes. As long as I'm living RIGHT NOW, I'm fulfilling the purpose He would have for me. When a bridge approaches that needs to be crossed, He will cross it with me. I may see it ahead in the distance, but there are certain earthly laws in place that would dictate that while I can see it, I can't cross it until I get to it.

It is unbelievable the burden that has been lifted from my shoulders because of this. I sense a dramatic shift in my speaking in the past couple of days because I can now HEAR that I am trying to drive. It is written that it is good for us to have plans. Plans are necessary for a lot of things in this life. But between the plans for tomorrow and the right now, I can't let the moment slip away because I allow myself to become preoccupied with the details of what is happening THEN... I must only know what to do today...the details will follow suit in each passing moment until tomorrow comes to pass.

FREEDOM!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great place to be! I love how you think and write, thank you for sharing!

Joe said...

I just stopped by your photo blog and was stunned at the beauty of the pictures. Every once in a while I kid myself that I'm a decent photographer and then I see the work of a truly taleted person and I realize how large the chasm is between my pictures and truly artistic photographs.

Nikki said...

Thank you both for your kind words and encouragement! :)